If you are trying to remodel your kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, deck/ patio, or whatever space around the house you might soon realize the prices can add up! I'll give you some pro tips as a professional contractor using a great article I found on yahoo homes.
1. The first thing they mention is to think like a contractor. This is solid negotiating advice period, if you can understand where the person across the table is coming from then making a deal is that much easier. Some costs are fixed, you can't negotiate the price of lumber, paint, cement, etc. You have to realize where there is leeway and where there isn't.
2. Knowledge is power, the more you know the better you can negotiate.
3. Ask for multiple bids and itemized pricing. You can compare costs and see where the money is going.
4. If you feel like you can buy certain materials cheaper than do that.
5. Ask if there is a cheaper way to handle the project. An experienced and reputable contractor will work with you if your budget is in line with reasonable market value of your requested project.
There's more tips if you read on here.